Researching your competition – other freelance teachers and language teaching companies – is a vital part of your job as a freelance English teacher if you’re serious about growing your business – but watch yourself! Researching your competitors can be one of the most dangerous things you can do as an entrepreneur. Listen to today’s podcast to find out why, and what to do about it!
Research can be a dangerous and very slippery hill to tread on! As you dig into the market, you’re bound to find companies or other teachers who are way further along on their business journey than you are – and if you’re not careful, you could very easily find yourself in one of the deadliest traps an entrepreneur can fall into: comparing yourself to someone else.
It happened to me just recently, and in today’s podcast I’ll share what happened!
- Be careful: researching your competitors is good, but can easily lead you to comparing yourself to them.
- Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle or ‘further along game’
- Important to know: fear is something that you don’t beat once and it’s gone for good. It’s something that can always come back and bug you.
- Fear and insecurity often is silenced with action, and with you taking action on the dreams or vision you have for your business.
- The space between dreams and reality can often need more time to bridge than what you think – this can lead to feelings of doubt and wondering if you are actually cut out to be doing this.
- Nobody can offer your services the way you can. Your goal is not to be a carbon copy of your competition, but a more of who you are as you serve your clients.
Are you struggling with comparing yourself to others? Leave a comment below, and let’s talk about it!