Have you been wanting to launch your freelance teaching business, but feel like you’re somehow frozen? You know you want to be out there teaching, you know you want to have the freedom of working for yourself while making more money, and working hours that you pick while doing it – but you just can’t seem to get started. Fear can be one of the sneakiest and most difficult obstacles to overcome as an entrepreneur – which is what you are if you decide to step out and work for yourself – and today we’re going to talk about it, and discover a few ways to beat fear – or at least keep it’s voice down!
Some thoughts about fear
- The act of starting something new – like your freelance teaching business – is when fear’s voice seems strongest.
- IF left unchecked, fear grows and multiples.
- Fear stays with us – comes and goes over time.
- Be mindful of what fear is trying to do – where is it trying to keep you?
- If we listen to fear’s voice, all the things we want to do that are out of our comfort zone, will never happen in our life because we’re too afraid to take action.
- Perfectionism can hold you back
- Not wanting to sound/look stupid/ when you’re stepping out into something new can stop you from taking action.
- Doing something new often creates resistance – usually based around fear.
- The problem with fear is that if you let it, it will keep you frozen – with things out in the future that you’d like to do.
- Are there any What if’s” that are holding you back from starting your business?
Comfort Zones and Fear Play Together
- Our brain is wired to keep us safe – and that safety often lives inside our comfort zone.
- New and different, things that could pose a threat to us like stepping out to try something new like starting your business, or inviting a student to take a demo class with you – raise fear.
- If you only listen to what your fear is saying to you, trying to ‘protect you’ from failing if you try something new for example, you’ll never step forward. Doing something new DOES involve fear, and it’s normal to feel it. It’s what you and I do with our fears that will shape our future.
- What do you do with fear right now, and are you allowing it to keep you from moving forward in your life?
3 Ideas to Break Away from Fear
- Realize You’re Not Alone:
- Even successful, well establish entrepreneurs have to face and overcome their own fears each day.
- Fear comes back even though you might have beaten it before. But that doesn’t = failure!
- Feeling fear makes you normal and human.
Not being alone doesn’t solve the problem of fear, does it? But it does break one of the lies that fear tries to plant: you’re on your own. You ARE the only one who deals with this, and that means you have no business trying….everyone else is fearless, and that’s why they succeed.
Are you Planasticating?
- Planning and Procrastination can often be the same thing! Planning can be disguised as you being too afraid to take a first step!
- Is ‘planning’ working in your life to actually keep you from launching out?
- Is there something you REALLY want to do or see happen in your life, but you just can’t seem to pull the trigger?
- Cure fear by acting! Pull your trigger today. What do you need to do? Who do you need to talk to? Who do you need to e-mail? Where do you need to put up your poster? You likely already know! Do it!
- What are you doing today to pull your trigger?
- The more you pull your trigger, the easier it becomes. The more you momentum you create, the easier it will be to keep moving forward.
- If you don’t take action, fear will always be holding you down. It may likely be always present, but taking action quiets fear.
- You may fail, when you take action, but that’s ok! You’ll be able to try again.
- Taking action on your goals is good for your own mental health – it feels good to move towards your dreams!
- Challenge: What is one thing you can do today to get one new student this week? NOW DO IT!
Have a Clear Picture of Where You are Going
- Face forward, not backward!
- Focus: What are you working for, not what you’re trying to get away from.
- What’s the vision for your freelance teaching business? How do you see yourself? Are you in front of a room filled with adults? Children? Who do you see yourself serving? Create a clear picture in your mind of who you want to serve in your business.
- What do you need to do today – right now – to start moving towards that future?
- Write down your vision, pin it somewhere, have it in front of you so you can see it and remember it often.